Sunday, October 21, 2012

My Angel Experience



By Shawne Patrill

I’ve always believed in angels, since I was a kid.  I didn’t know exactly why, but I supposed I associated them with Chrismassy things and happy times.  But the one and only time that I’ve actually had an ‘angelic experience’ wasn’t such a happy occasion.  In fact, it was the most terrifying experience I’ve ever had.  But I do know that I was saved that day.

I hadn’t had my license for long, but I was a competent driver (or so I thought).  The accident wasn’t entirely my fault, but in the craziness of moment I didn’t know what was up and what was down.  I didn’t even know where I was.  All I knew was that there was a lot of commotion going on outside my upside down car, and I could hear sirens getting closer and closer.  I don’t remember much because everything was blurring and foggy and I seemed to be falling in and out of consciousness.  I could smell something burning and felt heat around me.  The sirens were getting closer, but I could feel myself slipping away. 

All of a sudden I felt a presence beside me.  I couldn’t see it clearly ... it was more of a feeling or something I thought I was seeing in my mind’s eye.  At first I thought I was imagining it, but it felt so real.  I tried to focus on the presence and started to see the outline of what I thought was a person.  In my clear mind I knew I’d been in the car alone, but I could sense and almost see a figure next to me, somehow hanging in the air of my upside down wreckage.

I heard a voice, outside of myself but in my mind, somehow.  It was soft and melodic and it kept reassuring me that I would be okay ... that all would be ok.  The voice kept telling me to hold on and believe that I would live.  I felt a calmness envelope me, and although it seemed to be getting hotter inside my car and I could feel pain in my legs and lower back, I just knew I would survive.  I knew without a doubt that I would make it through this.  I must have blacked out at that point because the next thing I remembered was coming to in the ambulance.  I had tubes and machines all around me and couldn’t breathe properly and I started to panic and hyperventilate, my heart beating erratically.

I looked up at the paramedic tending to me and focused on his face.  But behind him I could see (or at least I thought I could see) beautiful colours, like a rainbow kind of.  I felt something brush against my face, stroking gently like whispy feathers and I just knew I’d be okay.  

5 months later I was discharged from hospital, but had another six months of rehabilitation ahead of me.  I never saw the angel again, but I will never forget it.

By Shawne Patrill

No comments:

Post a Comment